Pages

Monday, March 23, 2015

Sight Word Stations and a Freebie

Teaching sight words is very important, especially with children with a speech and language impairment.  Often these children have difficulty sounding out words because they can't actually say the sounds.  This doesn't mean they can't learn to sound out words, but for my students, sight words are an essential component to learning how to read.

The best way to work on sight words is by concentrating on a small number (5 or 6) each week and when they are mastered, move on to the next set. 

One of the best units I found to do this is from my friend Mary over at Sharing Kindergarten.  In her Sight Word Station pack, she divided up the Dolch word lists into weeks.  She has 14 stations that work on the same 5 or 6 words each week.  Each week has the same stations but with different words.


Here are just a few of the activities we do each week.

These are the word puzzles.  I mix up the letters and have the kids make the words.




Rainbow writing is also a favourite.  We use pencil crayons, crayons, markers, paint or whatever interests the children.




Sentence scramble is always a little harder but a very important skill to work on.  We don't want to just work on the words in isolation.  We want to show the children that putting them together make sentences.


Roll a word is another favourite game.  We roll the dice and colour in that word.  The word that makes it to the top first is the winner.  It's important for the children to say the word each time they roll the dice in order to internalize the words.



Read, build and write, can also be tricky because the little pieces can sometimes become misplaced but again this an important skill.  The children learn that the individual letters when combined, make up the words.


At the beginning of the year, we sometimes have to work on a list for more than one week, but as we learn words and the children get used to the routine, I find they start to pick up on them faster.  We work on sight words for about half an hour each day and at this time of the year the children know the list before the end of the week.

Along with our sight word stations I send home a sight word ring each night.  I ask that parents review the words at home.  Each day I have a volunteer ask the children their words and keep track on my assessment sheet.  I can easily see if the children are picking up on words we are doing.  Once they know the list we are working on, I have the volunteer add the next list of words.


You can grab this assessment for free by clicking on the picture below.



Using this combination (sight word stations, word rings, and daily assessment) have truly made a huge difference in the reading skills of my students.

a Rafflecopter giveaway

12 Notes:

Rachel Wille said...

I would love to use these during my station time. I have students who need to practice their sight words and I am always struggling to find new and engaging ways for them to practice. They tend to get bored of the same old stations I have. Your stations looks so great!!!

Chelsea said...

This would be a great reinforcement for my students their sight words during center time.

Meredith Malik said...

I would love to use these during my center rotations for students that don't need individual help. I would also use this during my guided reading groups for students that need a little extra help.

Sharlyn Kinney said...

I have emerging readers in my spec ed class that would love these hands on sight word activities!

Rachel S. said...

I'm a first year special education teacher and would love the opportunity to use these with my students who are struggling with sight words! Thank you for your time and effort put into your products.

suskoojake said...

I'm a first year teacher would love to do use this in my classroom! Thanks for the great opportunity and I will continue to read your blog!

Rose said...

I would use these during my Literacy Center Stations for practice. I would also use them during small groups with my struggling readers.

Rose said...

I would use these during my Literacy Center Stations for practice. I would also use them during small groups with my struggling readers.

Janet Black said...

Every year it is a struggle to get certain kinders to learn their words. This would be a grwat help!

Jamie Michael said...

What a fun way to teach sight words! Thanks for sharing!

Jamie
Tales of a Carolina Girl

Mary Love Strange said...

This would be so helpful during centers and guided reading groups!! It looks great!

Stephanie Ratliff said...

I love all of these ideas! Thank you so much for the time an effort you put into your blog and posts. All of these ideas are so helpful. What an excellent way to engage students and help them learn their sight words at the same time. I appreciate your insight!