Home Home About Me Products Freebies Contact Pinterest TPT Bloglovin Instagram Facebook

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

What is your Go-To book?

Stephanie over at Teaching in Room 6 is having a linky party.  What is your Go-To book?  I think that one of best books around about teaching literacy to children with severe disabilities is "Children with Disabilities: Reading and Writing the Four-Blocks Way" by Karen Erickson and David Koenhaver.




I saw Karen Erickson at a conference and she is absolutely amazing.  If you ever get a chance to see her, you should.  This book will give you some excellent literacy ideas for children with mild to  severe disabilities and for children that use augmentative and alternative communication.

The book is written with sample classrooms and children, offering practical real life examples, and sample IEP goals. It is not necessary to have an understanding of the the Four-Blocks framework to use the ideas in this book.  The suggestions can be used in any literacy program.  If you have a special needs child in your class, you need this book.

What is you go-to book?  Head over to Stephanie's blog and link up.

7 comments:

~Stephanie said...

Thank you so much for linking up Amanda! The four blocks was one of my first "teaching" books I ever read...so much strategy and fantastic ideas! I can see why you like it so much.

~Stephanie
Teaching in Room 6

Anonymous said...

This looks like a great resource; thanks for the recommendation. I'm going to have to check it out.

-swf
spedventures

Sharon Dudley said...

Another great post! I love visiting your blog, Amanda. You offer so many great ideas, and the heads-up about linky parties lately has helped a lot of teacher-bloggers lately, I'm sure! I think I've seen Karen Erickson at a few early childhood conferences before, and I agree that she's great.

As a blind teacher, I really appreciate how your blog raises awareness about teaching students with disabilities. I'd like to give you a Versatile Blogging Award! You can retrieve details from a recent post on my own blog. Have a nice day!

Sharon
http://teachingwithsight.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I'm a big fan of Diane Browder's book - Teaching Language Arts, Math, & Science to Students with Significant Cognitive Disabilities. Really helped me form a good philosophy for teaching all students!

Unknown said...

'm going to have to look into getting this book! thanks for sharing!

Teaching 123's & ABC's said...

I HAVE to have this book! I am so glad I found your post. I cannot wait to read all about it. Thank you so much for sharing. I love your blog. You have such great wisdom and wonderful ideas.

Jeannie
class full of special kinders

Heidi Kay said...

Hi there Jeannie! Very excited to have found your blog. Our company works with OTs, PTs and SLPs and I am thinking we might be able to collaborate. Have you seen us on Pinterest? www.pinterest.com/pediastaff? Please feel free to send your parents and teachers over there. We have over 7000 pins for special needs. I would like to talk to you about being a guest blogger for us (www.pediastaff.com/blog)...please email me at heidi@pediastaff.com. I look forward to hearing from you.