1) How far into the school year do you think kinders need to be to be able to begin the process of Read to Self? What is realistic? When do you plan to begin implementation?
I am going to begin right away. It might not be for very long and it will mainly be "reading" the pictures to begin with but we are going to start within the first couple of days. After I begin to introduce some words, I will expect them to begin to read some texts or poems.
2) How will you make sure that each child views him/herself as a reader (whether they are reading words or not)?
I think it begins with a lot of modelling and a lot of praise. If you view yourself as a reader, the children will see you as a reader and then they will want to be readers too.
3) What are some ideas you have about "Launching Read to Self" in kindergarten? How will you go about it and what are some ways to make sure it is "kinder friendly"?
I think I'm going to try and follow the book's outline to begin with. I haven't tried Daily 5 before so I think I'm going to use their framework to begin with and go from there. After I've done it once, I think I have a better idea of what is going to work and what won't.
4) How will you/do you build the children's belief that this IS important? What can we do to encourage the ones who do not value it and create disruptions for others?
Kindergarten is such a great age because the children still want to please you. If I show them how important it is to me, I believe they will follow my lead and it will become important to them. I will be implementing my "take home" reading program as well. I believe this shows to the parents how important reading is as well.
5) How valuable is Checking In and Reviewing with kindergartners? How often will you do it? When will you do it? What are some different ways to "check in"?
I'm expecting that checking in will be more frequent at the beginning. I'm not sure that I will be able to bring everyone back to a central location if children are out of their wheelchairs. There is not many of us so we may be fairly close together anyway.
6)What are some problems that can occur during this problem (either that you anticipate with your kinders OR that you have experienced)? How can we be proactive about these issues?
I am anticipating that I'm going to need to do a lot of modelling for the other adults in my class. They will be new to me and new to the program and will need to "buy into" it.