Home Home About Me Products Freebies Contact Pinterest TPT Bloglovin Instagram Facebook

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Team Hoyt

The Paralympics begin on Aug 29th and I'm hoping that I'm going to be able to catch some of the events on tv.  While I was thinking about the events I was reminded about one of the most inspirational teams that I have ever heard of.  Team Hoyt.

I few years back I was at a seminar and saw a video about a young man who wanted to run in a benefit run and the father who made it happen.  Why was this an amazing thing? Read their incredible story and watch the video.  Have your tissues ready.


The Beginning of Team Hoyt


"In the spring of 1977, Rick told his father that he wanted to participate in a 5-mile benefit run for a Lacrosse player who had been paralyzed in an accident. Far from being a long-distance runner, Dick agreed to push Rick in his wheelchair and they finished all 5 miles, coming in next to last. That night, Rick told his father, "Dad, when I'm running, it feels like I'm not handicapped."

This realization was just the beginning of what would become over 1,000 races completed, including marathons, duathlons and triathlons (6 of them being Ironman competitions). Also adding to their list of achievements, Dick and Rick biked and ran across the U.S. in 1992, completing a full 3,735 miles in 45 days.

In a triathlon, Dick will pull Rick in a boat with a bungee cord attached to a vest around his waist and to the front of the boat for the swimming stage. For the biking stage, Rick will ride a special two-seater bicycle, and then Dick will push Rick in his custom made running chair (for the running stage).

Rick was once asked, if he could give his father one thing, what would it be? Rick responded, "The thing I'd most like is for my dad to sit in the chair and I would push him for once."
The 2009 Boston Marathon was officially Team Hoyt's 1000th race. Rick always says if it comes down to doing one race a year he would like it to be the Boston Marathon: his favorite race. Dick Hoyt hopes that he is able to push Rick in the Boston Marathon when he is 70 years old (2011)! Neither Dick or Rick are ready to retire yet." (copied from their website Team Hoyt)




Their website is Team Hoyt

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is one of my favorite stories! Thanks for sharing the video!

- Sasha
The Autism Helper

Deedee Wills said...

I! LOVE! THIS! STORY! My superintendent shared it with us a few years ago. Thank you so much for reminding me of the power of perseverance!

pinetreelia said...

I'm your newest follower! Nice to find some other Canadian bloggers out there!

My Whole Brain Teaching Blog

A Grade One Nut and Her Squirrely Crew