Home Home About Me Products Freebies Contact Pinterest TPT Bloglovin Instagram Facebook

Monday, October 20, 2014

The Book Whisperer - Chapter 5

This week is Chapter 5 of our book study on "The Book Whisperer" by Donalyn Miller. 


   The Book Whisperer.png

If you don't have the book already,  you can grab it here.  It's not too late to join in.




The fifth chapter is called "Walking the Walk".  We need to examples to our students and demonstrate reading ourselves.

The one thing that stood out to me in the chapter was when Donalyn suggested that as part of a reading improvement plan you "read more children's books".

Now being a Kindergarten teacher, I love children's books.  I think I had a full library full of children's book before I ever became a teacher.  

Not only do I have a large collection of books by Robert Munch, the entire set of Franklin books and a large quantity of Berenstain bear books, but I also have a good sized library of young author books.

As a teacher, you know how busy we are.  With that in mind, I don't always have the time or energy during the school year to get into a book with a complicated story line that requires more than a few brain cells to figure out the plot and characters.  Lets face it, during the school year I need a book that I can pick up, read for a minute two, and then be able to pick up again (maybe even in a day or two) and not have difficulty following the storyline

I find that young author books fit this bill perfectly.  The stories are rich and exciting, easy to read and can be picked up and put down frequently without losing the storyline.

Here are a few of my favourites.








What are your favourites?



4 comments:

Barbara said...

I like teen lit, too! Just read Fan Girl, which was a lot of fun.

Unknown said...

Yup! A big fan of young adult fiction here too! I love The Fault in our Stars by John Green (have yet to see the movie though). It was actually recommended by a student! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for the book recommendations. I've yet to read the last two.

Sandi said...

I think I have more children's book than many small libraries - a job related weakness. And I keep buying more. I just recommended a YA author to Barb. Check out Suzi Davis. The first in her trilogy is titled Amber Frost. And she wrote it while working as an EA with a child in my class. I am sure some credit should come my way !!