Home Home About Me Products Freebies Contact Pinterest TPT Bloglovin Instagram Facebook

Monday, June 23, 2014

Daily 5 Book Study - Chapters 5 and 6 - Freebie

Welcome to the next installment of the Daily 5.  Sorry this post is late.  I can’t believe that this is my last week of school.  The countdown has begun and I think I have a million things to do between now and then.

Remember:  If you don't have the book yet, you can grab it here and catch up.



This week is Chapter 5 and Chapter 6.



Now I haven’t really done Daily 5 before so this is a huge chapter for me.  I’m already thinking in my head what the first day will be like (and I haven’t even finished this year yet.)
I really like the idea of foundation lessons and one of the first ones is “3 ways to read” a book.




I think it’s so important that children know that they don’t have to be able to read every word at the beginning.

They can





I’m going to make this into a large chart to hang in the room.  We are going to need a lot of practice in order to build up our stamina for this.
Another important lesson is




One of my favourite things to do is to go to the bookstore and look for that “just right” book. I could spend an hour or more looking at books.  I want my students to have the opportunity to pick those “just right” books without feeling rushed. The sisters use the acronym “I PICK” to help children remember how to pick that perfect book. 



I would like to find some time within the class schedule for the children to do that.  Maybe at the beginning of the day?  I have a ton of books in my class and want to spend the summer organizing them so the children can access them better.  I want them to be able to spend time looking and not feeling rushed.



Chapter 6 includes the foundation lessons for each of the Daily 5 sections.







One of the foundation lessons for Read-to-someone is EEKK!

I can definitely see my students loving this part of the program but I can also see needing a lot of modelling so that the noise level does not get out of control (that’s another lesson).  I’m hoping that this particular round will help with fluency. 

If you want any of the posters found in this post, you can find them by clicking on the pictures below.



Don’t forget to click on the links below to find more posts on Chapters 5 and 6.


No comments: